What is it like to work at O+A?
Each day gets designed from scratch. Someone always comes in early, someone always leaves late. New work environments for some of the world’s best-known companies are blossoming on the computer monitors. Carpet and tile samples are piling up where they ought not to be. Also little blocks of beautiful wood. Almost everyone is going into a meeting, leaving a meeting, late for a meeting. Dogs may be present. There is music. There is food. Rather frequently there is champagne. From the newest recruit to the oldest veteran a feeling is afoot that they have lucked into the best job they ever had.
Apply now at email@example.com
Senior Designer (San Francisco)
This is a senior position, requiring at least 8+ years of experience working at an interior design, architecture or related design firm. Senior Designers develop and execute appropriate design solutions for projects under the direction of the Principals; they must have the ability to lead project design teams and delegate work in a timely and constructive manner. Senior Designers have a thorough understanding of the firm’s design philosophy; they provide major input in developing a design concept and can effectively convey this to both assigned team members and clients.
Senior Designers must have excellent verbal and written communication skills and the flexibility to focus on a single client with a variety project types or multiple, concurrent projects in various stages of development. Interested? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Lead project design teams including programming client needs, conceptual and schematic design, design development and construction drawings
• Develop space planning concepts and generate program documents
• With Principals, guides project vision and ensures detailing, finishes, furniture and materials all align with project vision
• Work with consultants, furniture dealers, product reps and fabricators to meet overall project objectives
• Assist in managing client expectations, team communication and consultant coordination
• Works with technical architect and project team to ensure design intent is accurately interpreted in documents
• Oversee project close-out efforts
• Collaboration with building and permitting officials during permitting and construction phases of project, submits for permit as appropriate
• Oversee construction administration, including the processing of submittals/substitution requests during construction
• Knowledge of building codes, standards and the ability to resolve complex technical and design issues
• Creates or implements project systems and an environment conducive to high-quality design and professionalism
• Ability to communicate design concepts and direction articulately and concisely to both the project team and the client
• Ensure projects conform to contract and design specifications
• Contributes to and reinforces the “team effort” method of producing design projects
• Mentors and guides skill development of intermediate and junior staff
• Pro-actively keeps Principals and Studio Managers informed of work status and seeks clarification where appropriate
• Identifies issues, risks and conflicts and asks for assistance and/or delegates in a timely and constructive manner when required
Project Designer (San Francisco)
This position requires at least 5-8 years of experience working at an interior design, architecture or related design firm. Project Designers develop and execute appropriate design solutions for projects under the direction of the Principals and Directors; they must have the ability to work independently and the flexibility to both support and lead project design teams. Project Designers will work on larger, more complex design projects in a support capacity but may also serve as the lead on small to medium sized projects.
Given this variety, the ability to work under pressure, prioritize and handle a number of concurrent projects and tasks is key. This position requires excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as excellent presentation abilities. Project Designers must possess good collaboration skills, the ability to communicate and comprehend design direction quickly and efficiently, and be able to work well in a team environment.
- Collaborate on all phases of projects, including programming client needs, conceptual design, schematic design, design development and construction documents.
- Develop space planning concepts and generate program documents.
- Prepare graphic materials for presentations to clients.
- Participate in selection of appropriate furniture, finishes and accessories.
- Prepare design development packages for client presentation.
- Perform field verifications and assist with site inspections for validation of design intent.
- Review shop drawings for design intent.
- Review mock-ups, materials and finish samples submitted by project contractors.
- Assist with preparation of design analysis and research and prepare required documents (i.e.. Block studies, workstation standards, planning modules, etc.)
- Work with consultants, contractors, fabricators and regulatory agencies to meet overall project objectives.
- Assist in managing client expectations, team communication and consultant coordination.
- Contribute to office activities, initiatives and learning programs. Contribute to an environment conducive to high quality design and professionalism.
- Pro-actively keep Directors informed of work status and seek clarification where appropriate.
- Identify issues, risks and conflicts and ask for assistance and/or delegate in a timely and constructive manner when required
Designer (San Francisco)
This position requires at least 2-5 years of experience working at an interior design, architecture or related design firm. Designers work in a support capacity, assisting project teams and staff members as required on a variety of projects. This position requires attention to detail and the ability to multi-task. Designers may be focused on assisting on one large project or specific aspects of a variety of projects. Designers must possess good collaboration skills, the ability to follow design direction quickly and efficiently and be able to work well in a team environment.
- Produce design documents and/or construction with support of team and supervision of directorWork on design sketches, layouts and details.
- Produce wire frame perspectives with the design direction and intent reviewed by the project team.
Perform field verifications and assist with site inspections for validation of design intent.
- Participate in selection and procurement of furniture and finishes for projects in coordination with other team members.
- Pro-actively keep Directors and project team informed of work status and seek clarification where appropriate.
Identify issues, risks and conflicts and ask for assistance in a timely and constructive manner when required.
- Research building codes and standards.
- Assist with CA, including processing of submittals, shop drawings, substitution requests, RFIs, field reports, and punch lists.
- Assist with project closeout efforts.